Duration: 5 days
CPD points: 35
IntroductionUK central government recently stated that “UK public sector currently the spends around £45 billion each year buying goods and services. The successes of the services provided can have a profound impact on both the wellbeing of an individual and the prosperity and security of the whole country” The UK Government developed a series of Contract Management Professional Standards to ensure that all those charged with managing vital and often complex commercial arrangements are aware of the capabilities required
The aim of our new “Mini” MBA in UK Public Sector Contract Management Professional Standards is designed to enable and empower Public Sector staff to tackle managing contracts and commercial relationships at Practitioner level and are framed around business acumen, relationships and technical expertise.
The UK Government have identified that the bulk of contract management activity sits outside the commercial function. These civil servants may come from a policy or operational background, or may be part of another professional function other than commercial. In other words, they are managers are not contracts, rather than designated contract managers.
These Practitioners need to apply their knowledge and skill to deliver effectively on their responsibilities to achieve organisational outcomes.
Our “Mini” MBA in UK Public Sector Contract Management Professional Standards is designed to enable and empower Public Sector staff to tackle managing contracts and commercial relationships at Practitioner level and are framed around business acumen, relationships and technical expertise.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
-Understand the legalities of Public Sector contract and commercial management
– Negotiate effectively with key stakeholders across the Public Sector making use of the key skills of persuading and influencing to optimise outcomes
– Understand the UK regulatory aspects of Public Sector contract management
– Undertake effective Supplier Relationship Management in the context of UK Public Sector
– Appreciate the implications of Public Sector culture on contracting and commercial activities
– Appreciate the importance of contract management professional standards in the Public Sector
– Aware of indications of corruption, fraud and unethical behaviour in supply chains; ensures adherence to requirements, identifying and responding to breaches of standards
– Set up and maintain contract and commercial management governance systems Take a proactive, collaborative, and agile approach to managing commercial contracts
– Develop and monitor appropriate and robust Key Performance Indicators and SLA’s to manage the contractor and facilitate improved contractor performance
– Appreciate the cross functional nature of Public Sector contract management Communicate and work collaboratively with stakeholders to identify risks and opportunities.
– Collaborate to deliver sustainable performance and to manage and exceed expectations
– Understand the roles and responsibilities of Public Sector contract and commercial managers
– Utilize effective contracting methods and models (including Carter’s10 c model) and to use these models to prepare robust propositions to stakeholders.
– Make effective use of lessons learned to promote improvements from less than optimal outcomes, using appropriate templates
– Effectively manage the process of change, claims, variations, and dispute resolution in the context of the Public Sector
– Make appropriate use of best practice contract and commercial management tools, techniques, and templates
Our “Mini” MBA is accredited by The CPD Standards Office under licence number 21745 and the course is awarded 35 CPD points.
Participants are required to submit for assessment a series of especially designed case studies and assignments. These will be reviewed and discussed during class time and participant are required to then write up and submit their assessments within 10 working days from the close out of course. These are then assessed by DPSS and then submitted for moderation. Participants that successfully complete all assignments and the end of course one hr multi choice test and one hr open book case study exam will be recommended to the British CPD Standards Office for the award of the “Mini” MBA in Public Sector Contract Management Professional Standards
We will adopt a proactive, participative, and participant centred approach with emphasis on the practical application of the knowledge and skills acquired.
As with all of our courses we will utilize am eclectic range of teaching and learning strategies including presentations, discussions, Q&A, DVD, tasks, team work, role plays and simulations. We appreciate the need to ensure that the learning is embedded into the contractual and commercial fabric of the participant’s organisation and we will use case studies and other tasks to achieve this.
Days: 5 Course times: 09.00 – 4.00
The cost of the “Mini” MBA will be £2450 plus Vat – this includes venue, materials, certification, text book, lunch and refreshments etc
Course Dates: 13th – 17th Jan 2020
(Early bird 10% discount available)
Venue: Woburn House
20-24 Tavistock Square
London WC1H 9HQ